When is it time to engage an ERP consulting firm?
It’s really never too early to engage with a consulting firm if you are evaluating ERP systems. However, there can be downsides if you engage with a firm too late. To waste as little of your time, and your team’s time, it’s a good rule of thumb to select a trusted partner as soon as possible. That being said, wherever you are in the process, you can still leverage external help for your team.
A reliable partner can help you navigate the entire endeavor – including:
- Selecting the right software for your organization
- Preparing and planning
- Building a “winning” team
- Executing the project
- Ongoing training and system support
What should I expect from an ERP consulting team?
Your partner won’t have a magic wand to make all of the complexities of ERP disappear (unfortunately!). However, the right partner can be transformative for your business. Pairing your team’s expertise of your business, with a certified team of technology experts can lead to tangible, positive outcomes for your organization. Read more about the benefits.
Here are some of the key things you should expect from your partner:
- Certified consultants with substantial technical experience
- Relevant experience in your industry
- A proven methodology that can lead your team through the entire process
- Tools for team communication and project management
- Measurable milestones and goals
- Leadership to help navigate the progress and change management
- Trusted advice and expertise on the technical and functional aspects of the software
What are average ERP consulting rates?
Tier 1 ERP consulting rates (software for Oracle, Microsoft, SAP, etc.) in the United States are usually in the ballpark of $150 to $200 an hour. However, there are many factors to include in the overall budget. A reliable firm can help you build a strong and efficient team to make the most of your internal resources. Training your internal team is also an important consideration to factor into the project – so your team can rely less on external help and more on internal expertise.
Ensuring a successful ERP project
In addition to finding the right ERP consulting firm for your project, and your organization, there are other important steps to take.
Consider these questions to start the planning process:
- What are your business requirements for new ERP software? What are the broken, or inefficient business processes that you’re trying to fix?
- When is the best time to launch? (the answer that might come to mind is never, however there are some times that are better than others. For example in the middle or before a merger or acquisition is likely not the best time.)
- Who are the key executives that need to buy into the project?
- Who are the key team leaders that can help you have a successful project?
What is ERP?
It is accounting and operations oriented software that can be implemented to give an organization one source of truth on all business data. It has become the leading solution of choice for growing businesses that want to maintain and improve their competitive edge.
What are the benefits?
The biggest benefits are reduced costs and increased revenue. Some of the ways this is achieved are:
- Visibility into important business data
- More efficient processes
- Modern reporting and planning tools to enable data-driven decision making
- Automating manual processes
- Accounting/finance enhancements (reduced days sales outstanding etc.)
Learn more about the benefits.
What are the leading software options?
How do I know if it’s time for ERP?
This is a somewhat complicated question, that a consulting firm can help you answer. However, below are five important questions to consider:
- How accurate is your business data?
- Are your important business systems connected?
- Is your company growing (and outgrowing current tech)?
- How satisfied are your customers?
- Do you need to reduce costs from inefficient process or technology?