What is an ERP system in manufacturing?
ERP software has become the leading solution of choice for growing businesses that want to maintain and improve their competitive edge.
No sector creates more economic value than the manufacturing industry. Terillium is proud to help manufacturing companies implement Oracle ERP – solutions that help manufacturing businesses thrive with benefits like improved supply chain management, shop floor flexibility and better customer service.
We’re sharing knowledge we’ve gained over the course of 20 years spent serving the industry – topics such as what is an ERP system in manufacturing?
How does a manufacturing ERP improve business processes?
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) is a business management software solution that enables organizations to use one system to manage business processes.
ERP is accounting and operations oriented and features one database as a master source of enterprise information. An ERP system is used to identify and plan the resource needs of an enterprise.
ERP provides one user interface for the entire organization to manage:
- Product planning
- Materials and parts purchasing
- Inventory management
- Distribution and logistics
- Production scheduling
- Capacity utilization
- Order management and tracking
- Customer relations/satisfaction
- Equipment and assets
Why consider an ERP system for manufacturing
There are many business benefits to implementing a manufacturing enterprise resource planning software solution. Determining where the most value and return on investment comes from for your business is a key success factor for an ERP project. Here are a few of the business benefits of a modern ERP system from a big picture standpoint.
- Gain access to the information you need with one company system for all operational and financial information
- Create a better supply chain with enhanced inventory visibility as well as warehouse and transportation management tools
- Improve your customer satisfaction with one source for supply and demand information
- Empower a global workforce and streamline processes across multiple locations
- Grow your business with detailed forecasts based on real time sales data, plus a master schedule to plan material requirements
How do you know if it’s time to implement ERP?
Signs that your company would benefit from implementing a new ERP software system:
There are concerns over the integrity of business data. You need better processes for collecting and analyzing data.
You need better business reporting.
The business has disconnected systems that don’t communicate to each other.
Your company is growing and has outgrown its existing systems.
Customer satisfaction is declining due to inefficiencies in back-office operations.
You need to reduce costs.