What is JD Edwards ERP?
Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne is an integrated ERP software suite. JDE is unique in that organizations running their business processes through the software have choice of database and deployment options. JD Edwards can be deployed on-premise or on the cloud (private, public, or hybrid cloud). JD Edwards has a wide range of more than 80 ERP application modules, end-user reporting, and robust industry functionality. Learn more about:
Oracle JD Edwards Modules
Oracle JD Edwards is ERP (or Enterprise Resource Planning) software. JD Edwards is robust in its capabilities, and includes software functionality for:
- Asset Lifecycle Management (ALM)
- Financial Management
- Human Capital Management
- Project Management
- Order Management
- Manufacturing Management
- Real Estate and Home Construction
- Customer Relationship Management
- Apparel/Attribute Management
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Supply Chain Execution – Logistics
- Supply Management – Procurement
Versions of JD Edwards
Businesses running a JD Edwards ERP system today fall into a few camps, for the most part.
- JD Edwards World
- JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
JD Edwards World
JD Edwards was founded in 1977. The company’s first version of the software is called JD Edwards World, and runs on the IBM hardware AS/400 (rebranded in 2000 to IBM eServer iSeries). The software was initially very accounting focused, and was used by mid-sized businesses. This was a change in the market, previously ERP was only for larger companies (mostly Fortune 500). With the launch of JD Edwards, smaller mid-sized businesses could now implement ERP technology.
The most recent version of World, A9.4 released in 2015, now includes a web-based interface.
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
The majority of businesses today running JD Edwards ERP are using EnterpriseOne (E1), a web-based ERP. The JDE product team continues to invest in software enhancements and innovation.
Every year a major release will be introduced. In October 2021, Oracle announced the latest JD Edwards EnterpriseOne release (Release 22) with a new naming methodology. This new naming methodology was implemented in order to utilize a continuous code line and shift the delivery frequency, which in turn eliminated the number of upgrades and lessened the degree of change between releases.
With Release 22, Oracle has also announced they are moving JDE entirely to a 64-bit ERP. Beginning with EnterpriseOne Tools Release 9.2.5., they will stop releasing updates for the 32-bit version (which most JD Edwards customers are currently using).
By October 2022, Oracle introduced Release 23 to continue their investment efforts in digital transformation, user experience, system automation, and open platforms. In relation to the old naming convention, Release 23 is the 9.2.7 tools release. It’s from our understanding that that Release 24 will come out sometime in the fall of 2023.
Oracle officially acquired JD Edwards in 2005, bringing JD Edwards under the umbrella of Oracle products.
JD Edwards User Community
JD Edwards has a very active and loyal user community. Twice a year thousands of users attend the main user group conferences, BLUEPRINT 4D (formally COLLABORATE) and INFOCUS. Regional user groups across the United States, and the world, also meet throughout the year to network, share knowledge, and learn about the latest software features and functionality. Learn more about JD Edwards events.
Industries that Use Oracle JD Edwards ERP
Businesses across a variety of industries use JD Edwards World and E1 – main industries among the user base are:
- Consumer Package Goods
- Asset Intensive
- Home Builders
- Engineering and Architecture
- Other Project-based
Oracle JD Edwards Product Highlights
JD Edwards ERP is robust in the breadth and depth of functionality of the software. Overall JDE has more than 80 application modules. Pillar modules are in the following areas: assets, sales, financials, human capital, manufacturing, procurement, order management, project management, and supply chain.
Over the course of delivering JD Edwards software for more than 30 years, the product has become known for its reliability and stability.
Over the past five years, the JDE product team at Oracle has become increasingly dedicated to ensuring the best user experience (UX) possible. Latest features include:
- Features for user personalization based on their job and responsibilities
- Enhanced interface and Google-search-like navigation
- New notifications and watch list capabilities
- Ability to use more software functionality, without developer skills
Oracle JD Edwards is flexible based on business needs.
- Deployment – Businesses can choose whether to deploy JDE on-premise or in the cloud
- Module implementation – Businesses can choose the modules they need from the suite of applications, this includes the ability to integrate cloud software
- Pricing – Businesses can purchase the software upfront, or setup a plan for repayment over time
JD Edwards ERP today includes modern technology such as the JDE Orchestrator Studio – a tool that enables automation and IoT capabilities.
JD Edwards and the Cloud
Oracle JD Edwards continues to thrive as a product and has made advances in cloud technology.
- Cloud hosting – organizations running JDE have the option to host and run their solution in the cloud
- Cloud application integration options – integrating third-party or Oracle cloud applications with JDE
JD Edwards Features and Functionality
Some key JDE features worth highlighting include:
- One View Reporting: Real-time, built in reporting to access data and create list, charts, graphs and more
- Cloud capabilities (more info above)
- UX One: Features for streamlined and modern user experience
- Mobile Applications: There are over 88 mobile JDE apps available for users who want to increase productivity and utilize a mobile platform for JD Edwards ERP
- Internet of Things: An integrated IoT platform
- Infrastructure Tools and Integrations: Flexibility and options as far as platform, database and hardware options
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne: Accelerating Your Journey to Becoming a Digital Enterprise
Latest announcements from Oracle include:
- Latest JDE update: The EnterpriseOne Release 23 delivers innovative solutions that helps optimize your JDE applications, enable those applications to be the core of your digital initiatives, and simplify and automate your JD Edwards roadmap.
- Oracle JD Edwards Announces Enhancement to Move and Upgrade JD Edwards EnterpriseOne on Cloud Infrastructure.
- With a planned product roadmap until 2034 and beyond, Oracle has made significant investments in JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.2.
- Recent application enhancements include: capital asset management, human capital management, financials, sales, manufacturing, and procurement. Other major product improvements have been made to reporting and the user experience.