When planning an Oracle ERP Cloud implementation, there are numerous factors for a project of this magnitude. We recommend that clients consider these elements in addition to the software itself:
Choosing a partner
When planning an Oracle ERP Cloud implementation, using a partner is highly recommended. Partners have previous knowledge with implementations and the software you’ve chosen, increasing your odds for a successful project. However, choosing your partner is a lot like choosing your ERP – a right fit for your organization and a beneficial solution. But what should you look for?
A potential ERP Cloud implementation partner should have previous, relevant experience with both the software and your industry. Additionally, consultants should be certified and have substantial technical experience.
What to expect
While your potential implementation partner doesn’t have superpowers to make your project perfect, they can simplify a complex process and provide leadership and guidance. Select a partner with proven methodology. No project is exactly the same but having a roadmap to follow ensures all the boxes are checked along the way.
Your partner should also be equipped with tools for team communication and project management. Here at Terillium, each project has its own SharePoint environment. All team members from our team and our client’s internal team has access to the data and files necessary to the project. Additionally, we offer remote consulting services in order to accommodate our clients’ needs and requests.
How a partner can help
To achieve and measure progress, you need to have milestones and goals. An experienced partner will have the knowledge to understand what is doable and in an appropriate timeframe, as well as the leadership necessary to navigate the process.
A trusted partner will also have advice to provide regarding the technical and functional aspects of ERP Cloud software, as well as the implementation process itself. This can be in the form of recommendations for additional Oracle cloud applications or tools that can optimize your organization’s functionality within Oracle ERP Cloud, or how to best leverage Oracle’s advanced technology features like artificial intelligence (AI) or blockchain.
Process for a successful Oracle ERP Cloud implementation
An experienced partner will have a process that can lead you through the implementation project. These best practices will have been developed throughout many projects and are a reflection of their experience. Our top recommendations include:
- Use a methodology: Using the same analogy as we previously mentioned, a methodology is like a roadmap. It’s a framework to provide your project structure and direction. An ERP implementation is a complex process, and a methodology breaks it down into manageable portions.
- Test often: Testing is necessary to know if your solution is functioning properly. As the project progresses, testing both individual functions and the system as a whole is required to understand that your system can support your business. Additionally, including end users in the testing process is integral to ensure complete understanding.
- Integrate early: Waiting until the end to integrate third-party applications and tools is a mistake. Integrations and coordination take time and are not always simple. All parties must be involved early on, with realistic expectations set and clear responsibilities assigned.
- Maintain communication: This is one of the most important recommendations. Communicating often and clearly is integral to the success of your implementation project. Regardless of how you and your partner execute it, have a communication plan and maintain it clearly and frequently.
Factors to ensure project success
An ERP implementation is an important business project. Having best practices is necessary, but so is good project management. Terillium’s President, Dave Woodworth, created three strategies with tips curated from his more than 20 years of experience in working on ERP implementations. These include:
- Technology: Your software itself is not the reason for your success or failure in an implementation. It’s a tool that must be used properly. While Oracle ERP Cloud is equipped with business intelligence capabilities and machine learning-powered tools, bad data will make them useless. Convert your data properly so that it is complete, correct and coherent before migrating it to your new system. Improve business reporting processes in order to better understand and utilize your business data and ERP system’s tools.
- People: Not having the right people on your internal team is an easy mistake to make. However, your team should be made up of the people you are least likely to want to spare. These employees should know your business, be capable of making decisions and work in different areas of your organization. They’ll need to commit a significant amount of time to the project as well. Additionally, an executive must serve as the project sponsor and the C-suite needs to be involved in order to provide an example of leadership and make final decisions.
- Processes: The most important process in an ERP implementation is a methodology. A proven methodology should be tested and formal, but flexible to accommodate each business and industry. An established communication plan among teammates and between teams must be maintained in order to keep the project on track, as well as a training plan to ensure employees are trained periodically and completely. A process for measuring success is necessary to achieving project goals and benchmarks, while allowing you to know your project was a success at its completion.
After the implementation
You’ve completed the implementation, testing, training and go-live. Congratulations! That’s all, right? Not necessarily. While your business may be live on Oracle ERP Cloud, there may still be some work to be done. You might discover processes that require optimizing, additional tools to add following the implementation or the need for technical support.
Managed services is an extension of Oracle support and can address any issues or subsequent work needed following go-live. Certified consultants with experience leading ERP Cloud implementations can offer expertise to make necessary improvements, alterations or additional testing in order to help you get the most from your Oracle ERP Cloud software.